Monday, August 8, 2011

Connecting with your children

I have been fortunate enough that my both my daughters have taken an interest in lifting weights. I have to say that it is one of them most enjoyable things to be able to do with them also. My daughter Gabby has taken a very serious attitude towards working out. In the last year she has competed in 2 powerlifting meets and I have been so proud of how serious she takes her training. She has such a competitive spirit and gets very angry when she misses a lift, she reminds me so much of myself.

Early today when we were lifting together she missed a PR bench press attempt, now she does not get to do max hardly ever so she was very excited. She attempt 55lbs and missed it, she got so upset that she started crying. I understood how she felt as I know that when I go after a PR and I miss it I get very upset, except usually it involves me swearing and then probably throwing or punching something(good thing she hasn't learned that yet.) I tried to explain to her that missing a weight is not a big deal it is gonna happen a lot in life, and not just with the weights.

I never thought that I would be able to connect with my daughter in the gym like I have, but I think it is something that we will have together for a lifetime. She has already told me that wants to throw shotput in junior high, I am very excited for this. One thing I have learned is to have some kind of hobby in common with your children, it doesn't have to be sports but to have something your both enjoy makes for a better relationship.

Come November it will be time for Gabby's 3rd meet, I can't wait for it.

Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment