Sunday, June 13, 2010

Gus Lohman writeup

It took me a day to reflect on how this contest went for me. Needless to say, I am still not happy with how it went. I didn't perform up to my potential and that irritates me. I didn't push myself hard enough on some events and gave up too early on others. But that happens sometimes and now I will rethink things and hopefully come back stronger.

Now on to some good things about this weekend. My training partners Mac Capello and Chuck Kasson both had outstanding performances. Mac took 3rd place missing 2nd by .5 points in a very tough class. Chuck took 2nd place by .5 points to Justin Wheeler in another tough class. I was happy to see Chuck and Mac do well.

Here is how the meet went.

1st event Circus DB 125lbs clean and press each rep
I got 3 reps and that is about what I expected to get, I wasn't dissapointed, but I wasn't exactly all that happy. My pressing ability is just starting to come back, had I not made some dumb decisions earlier this year I think getting 7-8 reps would have been a definate possibility.

2nd event Farmers Walks 80 feet 280lbs each hand
I ended up not being able to finish, dropped the damn things like 4 times and I not even sure how far I went. This is where the meet went south for me, I was extremely dissapointed after this as I had been working my farmers very hard and hadn't been dropping them in a long time. Plus I needed the points and this was an event I could have won had I not dropped them.

3rd event Conans Wheel 500-600lbs
I ended up getting a little over 3 revolutions and honestly I just didn't want to push myself here, had I just got about 10 more feet I would have beat Mac on this, but I could have pushed myself to go another revolution I could have maybe won this event. But I did get some much needed points. This did lift my spirits a little though.

4th event Bus Pull
I got going really good but I guess slowed down towards the end and finished in 32.xx sec, again got some points, but I felt alot faster than my time.

5th event Monster Keg Load 225-380lbs
My favorite event I had some bobbles though as the kegs were wet and they were slipping on me. I ended up loading through the 325lb keg getting 3rd place on these and getting some more points.

In the end I ended up 5th out of 9 guys, not very good in my mind but I can't do much about it now. I know that I could have been in the top 3, I just didn't push myself enough on the events I needed to. And I have to figure what is up with my damn grip, some days it is there and other days I can't hold on to the TV remote.

I would like to thank my family for supporting me and dealing with my training time cutting into their time, my training partners for helping push me, my sponsor Staley Training Systems for having confidence in me to be my best, and to Eric Todd and Conan Wass for putting this meet on.

Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment