Sunday, January 31, 2010

Being Proud

I have been lifting weights and such for about 18 years. Now I always lifted but I never really took any of serious until about 8 years ago when I met my wife. Its funny how having someone around who supports you and will tell you if you are doing good or bad really brings out the best in you. I remember shortly after we got married I wanted to turn our garage into my gym and buy some extra equipment to make it better. Now most normal women would have told me to go to hell, but not my wife she fully supported it and now we have a very nice gym and our cars are outside. Now I still wasn't completely serious with my lifting but I was pushing it harder and lifting heavier weights. Now jump ahead to 2006 I decide I wanna try and do my first strongman contest. Now some peoples might have been thinking "Your crazy" this would be a true statement, as I think you have to be a little out of your mind to do some of the things I like do. Again my wife supported me and dealt with me training more and seeing her and the kids less sometimes. I did my contest and got my ass handed to me, in fact over the next 2 1/2 years I did many more contest and got my ass kicked alot more times. My wife kept giving me lots of support and kept telling me not to give up. Finally come 2008 I found what I needed to do and did it. I lost a bunch of weight, figured out what I need to do in my workouts, and I put it all together as a plan. My first contest I didn't win, but I did take 4th place out 12 competitors. Now I knew I was getting closer to what I needed to accomplish my goals. Finally in 2009 I won the Gus Lohman as a 200# competitor, Won the Collegiate Nats as a Lightweight, and won the Nebraska Highlander as a 200# competitor. Without my wife I never could have accomplished any of this. Having solid support is the key to doing well at anything. Good women are hard to find and my wife is living proof, as quite frankly I can be a real pain in the ass if I have a bad contest or even bad training. But when I get bitchy she tells me shut up and deal with it and listens to my rambling. I am proud of my wife and lucky to have her.

Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment