Monday, February 1, 2010

Time for a change

It is a new year and strongman contest for me are going to start happening soon. Currently I am training for a powerlifting meet, but I need to change some things. In order to be better at my strongman meets, I need to get my overhead press back up. Well unfornately I cannot be good at overhead pressing and bench pressing. It just does not work for me, but I can be good at overhead pressing and get my close grip bench better.

So I am going to go back to training my bench with only a close grip style. When I compete at the powerlifting meet in March I will just use a close grip. Will this maybe make my bench press number go down, maybe but I could end up getting a nice PR out of it also. I am past the point of competing for a trophy(Although I will admit when it comes strongman competitions I have not gotten the trophy bug out of my system yet.) But I have done enough powerlifting meets to know that I just wanna go out there and try to put up a big lift. In all reality my whole goal for this meet is to get as close or get a 600# deadlift. If I can get 315#s on a close grip bench I will be happy with this, although I know I will be capable of more.

Now the journey to getting my overhead press back up ready for the following year is on its first step. Hopefully big numbers will be on the horizon, and good workouts will follow. A 300# overhead press is gonna happen this year, and now I know what I need to do to achieve this.

Jesse

1 comment: