Sunday, January 30, 2011

I don't claim to be a great strongman competitor, nor have I really done anything all that special. But I do know I have made plenty of mistakes and I see people keep doing the same stuff. So here is what I would like to call THE BIGGEST MISTAKES I SEE PEOPLE MAKING when it comes to strongman.

1. Trying a certain training routine because it worked for so and so, even though what you are doing is working. So many times read that some Pro strongman does some kind of workout, so they think "Hey if he is doing this, I need to be." Biggest problem is, what they are doing already is working. They typically end up getting hurt and stop making gains, and the get frustrated and quit.

2. Concentrating on only 1 lift and neglecting the others. I was a prime example of this, I always wanted a nice overhead press. Who doesn't? But I was so worried about getting better at pressing more weight, that I wasn't concentrating on all the other lifts. Who cares if you win the overhead press, if you suck at all the other events.

3. Not fixing weaknesses. Yeah I just said concentrating on 1 lift and neglecting the others is bad, but what I am saying here is if your overhead sucks, figure out what to fix. Can't pick up stones, figure that out. Suck at 18" DL find the weakness. Just don't completely neglect your other lifts and events.

4. Conditioning. If you wanna be able to make it through a strongman competition, you are gonna need some kind of conditioning. I am not talking walking on a treadmill, stairstepper, etc... I am talking event specific conditioning, tire flips, prowler pushes, and sled drags. Also sledgehammer swings, kettlebell assorted exercises, and barbell complexes.

5. Recovery stuff. When I was younger, I thought I was indestructible, I don't need to stretch or take hot showers, let alone get a massage. That stuff was for pussies! Well say what you want, but I am a firm believer in stuff such as getting a massage, foam rolling, hot showers, icing down and applying heat to sore areas. One thing I will never do though is take a ice bath, I don't care how much it helps, that shit is not gonna happen!

Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment